Office Hours: Schedule an appointment at https://go.unl.edu/edefrain
- Ph D, Educational Psychology, University of Arizona, 2016
- MS, Educational Technology, University of Arizona, 2006
- MLIS, University of Arizona, 2004
- BA, History, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2002
icon-documentPublications and Other Intellectual Contributions
- DeFrain, E. & Hong, M. (2020). Interiors, affect, and use: How does an academic library’s learning commons support students’ needs?, Evidence Based Library and Information Practice. 15(2), 42-68., June 2020
- Head, A. J., DeFrain, E., Fister, B., & MacMillan, M. (2019). Across the great divide: How today's college students engage with news. , First Monday, 24(8).
- Allison, D., DeFrain, E., Hitt, B. D., & Tyler, D. C. (2019). Academic library as learning space and as collection: A learning commons' effects on collections and related resources and services. , The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 45(3), 305-314.
- DeFrain, E., Delserone, L., Lorang, L., Riehle, C.F. , & Anaya, T. (2019). Re-centering teaching and learning: Toward communities of practice at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln Libraries, In Mallon, M., Huisman, R., Hays, L., Bradley, C., & Belanger, J. (Eds.) Chicago: ACRL Press., The Grounded Instruction Librarian: Participating in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Burks, R., Deards, K., & DeFrain, E. (2017). Where Science Intersects Pop Culture: An Informal Science Educational Outreach Program, Journal of Chemical Education
- Yao, C., Wilson, B., Garcia, C., DeFrain, E., Cano, A. (2017). Helping Graduate Students Join an Online Learning Community, EDUCAUSE Review
- Tyler, D., Cross, J., & DeFrain, E. (2017). Sociological Abstracts vs. SocINDEX for Graduate Students in Sociology: Comprehensive Enough to Satisfy?, Library Philosophy and Practice
- DeFrain, E., Hathcock, A., Masland, T., Pagowsky, N., Pho, A., Rigby, M., & Robert, K.R. (2016). In defense of scholarship: A rebuttal to The librarian stereotype: How librarians are damaging their image and profession. College & Undergraduate Libraries 23(2).
- Pagowsky, N., & DeFrain, E. (2014). Ice ice baby: Are librarian stereotypes freezing us out of instruction? , In the Library with the Lead Pipe
- Mery, Y., DeFrain, E., Kline, E., & Sult, L. (2014). Evaluating the effectiveness of tools for online database instruction. , Communications in Information Literacy, 8(1). 70-81.
- DeFrain, E., & Pagowsky, N. (2014). The Survey of use of emerging technologies in information literacy instruction.
- DeFrain, E., Holland, J., & Mery, Y. (2013). Survey of best practices in developing online information literacy tutorials
- DeFrain, E., & Elliott, C. (Fall 2012). Stories of censorship in the Old Pueblo: Banned Books Week at the University of Arizona. Intellectual Freedom Round Table Report 1(76).
- DeFrain, E. (2019). “I use good sources when it counts for school, but am lazier at home”: The critical divide between young adults’ academic and personal news engagement behaviors.
- DeFrain, E., & Hong, M. (May, 2019). Fostering healthy learning communities through informal spaces., Brooklyn, NY
- DeFrain, E. & Hong, M. (2018). Design for informal learning: The shifting ground of academic library design, Oslo, Norway
- DeFrain, E., & Pagowsky, N. (2017, January). Instructional Design for Librarians. UCLA Workshop, UCLA Libraries, Los Angeles, CA
- DeFrain, E., Glassman, J., Pagowsky, N., Worsham, D. (2016, June). Breaking it down and climbing back up: Learning theories and approaches to instruction. Library Instruction West, Salt Lake City, UT
- Sult, L., Mery, Y., & DeFrain, E. (2013, May). A new spin on an old classic: Effective online database instruction. Library Orientation Exchange (LOEX) Annual Conference, Nashville, TN
- Dewland, J., Cuillier, C., & DeFrain, E. (2013, July). Personalized library instruction for 500 of your favorite students. American Library Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL
- DeFrain, E. (2012, April). More than a pathfinder: Are we getting the most out of our online course guides? University of Arizona Libraries Living the Future 8, Tucson, AZ
- Testing assumptions of interactive and active learning: An evaluation of tools for online information literacy instruction, Lincoln, NE
- Anaya, T., DeFrain, E., & Maxey-Harris, C. (2015, May). Online library tools for research and writing: No time, no room, no problem! Innovation in Pedagogy and Technology: Partnering for Success, Lincoln, NE